Two of our core programmes within RLA are mobile information portals (through XtownX), and the digital heritage (throughout ETHER programme).
XtownX is a core information service on which a range of components and other applications can be built, and thus it was natural to consider how we could provide access to heritage through XtownX.
Whereas ETHER is concerned with developing new standards, the management collections, and the creation of large-scale repositories, our focus within a town is more on preserving the heritage of the town, and providing access to the heritage resources in the town to local citizens and to tourists.
We provide the following as part of our XtownX eHeritage :-
- information on heritage sites, with details on where their fit into the history of the areas
- local oral history - local stories and legends
- information about museums, libraries and archives that provide depth of information and specialised information for education, research, tourists, and other interested parties
- information on who to contact to get more information : local historians and guides
- how you can get involved with contributing to the heritage of the town